Soldier run over before fatal stabbing

Floral tributes outside the Woolwich Barracks where British soldier Lee Rigby was run over before being attacked by two men armed with a cleaver and a knife. Picture:

LONDON - The British soldier killed by suspected Islamic extremists in London last week was run over before being attacked by two men armed with a cleaver and a knife, an inquest heard on Friday.

In another development, police announced the arrest of their eleventh suspect over the attack, which is being investigated by Scotland Yard's counter-terrorism branch.

A 42-year-old man was arrested in north London on suspicion of being involved in the supply of illegal firearms.

One man, Michael Adebowale, has been charged with murder while the other main suspect, Michael Adebolajo, remains under arrest in hospital.

Both men were shot by police at the scene.

Of the other people arrested, two women were released without charge and six men accused of conspiracy to murder are out on bail.

In a brief hearing, the coroner's court heard that Rigby, an army recruiting officer, was killed as he returned home after a day working at the Tower of London, his regimental headquarters.

The 25-year-old had to be identified by a dental expert, the inquest heard. A post-mortem examination had already found that he died from multiple cut and stab wounds.

"On Wednesday May 22, at approximately 2.20pm, Lee was returning to barracks after a day working at the Tower of London," said Detective Chief Inspector Grant Mallon of Counter-Terrorism Command.

"As he walked into Artillery Place (a road in Woolwich), a vehicle is seen to swerve into the carriageway on which he was walking and strike him.

"The two occupants of the vehicle then exit the vehicle and attack him with a cleaver and a knife."

Mallon said the soldier suffered "extensive and serious injuries" and investigations were continuing into those responsible.

Security at the court was beefed up for the inquest, which will seek to establish the circumstances of Rigby's death without apportioning blame. It was adjourned to a date yet to be confirmed.

Rigby's family did not attend the hearing but it issued a statement calling for calm following a number of attacks on mosques and a rise in anti-Muslim incidents since his death.

"Lee would not want people to use his name as an excuse to carry out attacks against others," his relatives said.

"We would not wish any other families to go through this harrowing experience and appeal to everyone to keep calm and show their respect in a peaceful manner."

The far-right British National Party (BNP) will hold a march in Rigby's name in central London on Saturday, and anti-fascist activists are planning to turn out in opposition.

The BNP had originally planned to march from the murder scene in Woolwich to a nearby mosque, but police blocked the protest amid concerns that it could result in "serious disorder".

A rally by about 1,000 members of the far-right English Defence League (EDL) in central London last Saturday resulted in 13 arrests.

Separately, a man who claimed to be friends with murder suspect Adebolajo was on Friday charged with offences of distributing extremist material, although there was no link to the soldier's murder.

Abu Nusaybah was arrested last week after telling a BBC TV programme that Adebolajo had once been offered a job by the British secret services.





Fast-food chain McDonald's said on Tuesday its first-quarter profit dropped 5.2 percent amid declining sales in its key US home market, and vowed to boost global sales.
While mining executives and trade unions slugged it out in the boardroom in a bid to end the three-month-long platinum strike, investors helped themselves to the companies’ shares.
A 29-old-man man who allegedly shot dead his girlfriend after an argument in Zola, Soweto, has died in hospital.

TOP STORIES view all

The Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) has received a complaint from the Economic Freedom Fighters after a party election advert was rejected by the SABC.
Game reserves have been asked to heighten their security in the wake of a blatant theft of 80 kilograms of rhino horn from the Tourism and Parks Agency in Mpumalanga at the weekend
Talks between Amcu and platinum producers are expected to continue on Wednesday. The crippling industrial action by underground workers have been going on for 13 weeks.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions